Thursday, August 2, 2012

Chick Fil A, A God That Loves, and What Hate REALLY Is


Much has been made recently about the controversy surrounding Chick Fil A, and CEO Dan Cathy’s beliefs on traditional marriage. I have remained silent on this, at least outside of conversations with my wife, and a few friends; but even in those conversations my feelings were measured..tempered. The last thing I want to do is offend someone. However, at this point, when the God that I serve, the people that serve alongside me, and the faith that has brought me to the knowledge of the grace that has saved me are not only slandered, but openly mocked. I must speak out. This blog of mine has taken many forms. I have used it to rejoice, to ponder things I didn’t understand, and I have allowed frustrations to be vented. I do not wish to alienate anyone, but I am not genuine if I remain silent. First of all, I will say (and this may shock some of you) that I am actually not opposed to the government allowing same sex marriage. This liberty based government of ours has no business legislating moral issues, provided that no one is hurt by them. That being said, I am absolutely stunned that the human race as a whole can be so hateful. And no, I’m not talking about the “hate” as defined by the left. I’m talking about the genuine article. We witnessed something remarkable yesterday. One group railed against a restaurant simply because the CEO of the company expressed a spiritual viewpoint. There have been calls to run him out of business, to shame the God he serves, and even to do harm to his family. As an answer to this, former Governor Mike Huckabee asked those that support Mr. Cathy’s views to throw some business his way. The result was astounding. Lines that stretched into traffic, forcing the police to come and redirect it. What is normally a 5-10 minute wait for food turned into 2-4 hours. It was an overwhelming referendum on just how supportive we are of free speech. The detractors saw this, and immediately went nuts. There were messages on Twitter wishing death on anyone that eats there, wishing death on their familes, their children, and not surprisingly, horrible remarks, and sentiment directed at a God, by whose grace, they are able to breathe. As a result of the overwhelming response to Gov. Huckabees proposal, they have planned a rebuttal. On Friday, August 2, they are planning to go to Chik Fil A Restaurants, and in a childish act of defiance, stage a “Same Sex Kiss In”. They are not doing this to make a point, I assure you. They are doing it to openly mock God, and his followers, and to make light of our beliefs; to throw a fit like a child that has lost a game of jacks.  I ask you, who really hates here? The words “hate” and “tolerance” have been so distorted in our modern lexicon, that most have lost sight of what these words actually mean. The left claims that tolerance is indispensable. But that tolerance only applies to their political enemies. They don’t need to tolerate. So a fast food chain had a really good day. I know! Let’s say we hope all of their children die. Let’s make jokes that Jesus Christ is a homosexual. That’s quite tolerant, isn’t it? Some have said that Dan Cathy Hates homosexuals. He stated his own religious beliefs when he was asked about them. He didn’t mention any group. But he hates. Meanwhile, those that are calling for his family to die; those that are saying the most horrible things about the God we worship, not to mention wishing death on all of our families as well, that’s not hate. That’s nobility. That’s freedom of speech. See, it doesn’t work both ways with the left, and we are beginning to see that more clearly than ever. To all that are participating in this operative against Chick Fil A, the people that eat there, and the people that share Mr. Cathy’s views, I say this:

I won’t pretend to know what it’s like to be gay, to know the uphill battle that you have to climb to live your lives normally. I could quote from Deuteronomy, and say “abomination this, abomination that.” But I will not.  Because the fact is, you’re no worse than any other human walking on the Earth. We are all sinners. I stubbed my toe yesterday. I said a curse word. I shouldn’t have. I’ve said unkind things, I’ve thought impure thoughts, I’ve been selfish, irritable, unkind to my wife, indifferent to my God, and that was yesterday. I just happen to have hope. Hope in a God that loves me so fiercely, that he couldn’t stand to see me suffer under His wrath. He has every right to be angry with me. He is perfect, I am not. Enter Jesus Christ, who lived a perfect earthly life, yet was Punished for the sins of the whole world. Yours. Mine. The people that will go to Chick Fil A on Friday to incite more negativity. The people that were there yesterday, supporting the CEO.  The people that are there now. Everyone’s.  Just keep in mind, the pendulum does swing both ways .Hate doesn’t have two meanings.  Hate is what it is. I hope and pray that you come to an understanding of the truth. Not so you “turn from your evil ways” and suddenly stop being gay, but so you don’t have to live your lives with such animosity and yes, hatred in your heart. I wish you all the best. Defy a cow, go get a hamburger today. The lines won’t be very long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment