Sunday, July 15, 2012

New Stuff, Old Stuff

As a worship leader of an independent baptist church, I have been on the receiving end of a fair share of criticism. Cause if there's one thing Baptists can do, it's criticize. Most of the criticism has to do with choice of material. Some of the comments are specific musically.. "This song's too fast!" or... "This song's too loud!", but the bulk of the criticism volleyed at me concerns tradition. And my irreverent attitude toward it. When my wife and I arrived at my church in 2006, we were looking for a place where we could belong, a place where we could reconnect with our Savior after a period of complacency. I was wanting to rediscover Christ, my wife was looking to find him period. Our church welcomed us with open arms, and what a welcome it was! But once the service began, I noticed something immediately. The music was archaic. Outdated, passionless, and routine. There was no emotion coming from the seats. Nothing being given to God, and apparently no comfort being taken FROM him, either. Flash forward 4 years, a time that sees me installed as the worship leader, in charge of leading the singing. I went to work immediately dismantling a broken system..restoring elements of emotion, carefully, meticulously, without making any loud noises to scare people away. But scare people away I did. One couple, when asked why they were leaving the church answered simply, "Ben Bitter." Ouch. Yet with the help of my senior pastor, we trudged on, slowly introducing new elements to the worship service. A programme of straight hymns was retooled, to include songs by Bebo Norman, and Chris Tomlin..not to mention great worship songs from Sovereign Grace Music Mionistries and Keith and Kristyn Getty. As this trend continued, a funny thing happened. People started singing. People started feeling. Moreover, people began to experience the greatness of their God through the power of song. Hymns weren't done away with entirely, mind you. They have a special place in the programme. After singing modern songs like "Jesus Messiah" or "I Will Lift My Eyes", I can break out "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" and it takes on a whole new reverence. Nowadays, there are a few that will refuse to sing. There are some that will walk out of the worship service entirely. But who are they serving? To them I say this: Ask yourself this question. Am I here (church) as a consumer? Am I here to be entertained? If you answered yes, good for you. You're honest. And you're missing the point.

"I'll give you more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what you have required"

No comments:

Post a Comment