Tuesday, February 23, 2016

ADHD Is For Luvahs


There are many blogs and many self-help articles that circulate around both the Internet and the magazine world about ADHD. But when I blog about it, I always try and touch on the personal aspect of it. What it actually does to our lives. I've spoken before of the perils of our lack of tact when it comes to communicating. I've also touched on our energy levels, and how they tend to alienate us from other people. But this subject, has recently hit me very hard. And if I can help even one person from suffering the same fate as I have, then I'm all too happy to blog about it. Let's talk about attention deficit disorder, and what it brings to personal relationships. It's a really cool thing on the surface, being able to love more completely and fully than anyone else. The fact of the matter is though, it's way more of a curse than it is a blessing. You see, we make friends, and we care about them so deeply, that the normal person cannot possibly hope to reciprocate on the same level. To the normal mind, especially when it comes to opposite sex friendships, what is friendliness to us, looks like flirtation to others. We will do anything to make the other happy. The sky is the limit. A beautiful friendship can exist until the other party decides that our brand of affection is a little too intense. And then, like we feel everything else, we feel it like a knife in our gut. We wonder why suddenly everything that was so good is suddenly awkward and not good. Then we realize that again, it was us. We gave too much, made things just a little too intense. The normal mind can't process it. And then, when it ends, the horrid cycle of shame begins. But amazingly enough, we bounce back immediately and begin anew. It's a cycle that doesn't end, and it carries with it a misery that most people can't comprehend. On a personal note.... I wish I could be indifferent. I wish I didn't care so much. Medication definitely helps, but the important thing is to remember two things. 
1. They don't think like we do. What is intense platonic love for you can be a casual friendship for others. Try to keep in mind how much more efficient your mind is. 

2. Just because other people can't reciprocate on your level doesn't mean it's your fault. No one loves like we do. No one. 

So if you're hurt because of your excessive love for others, just know that the benefits of having such an amazing brain has its consequences. Also, take the time to grieve. They will never know what  we go through, so take your time to bounce back. Yes, it will happen again. But we are all on a wild ride through life. And we see way more than they do. Remember that

No comments:

Post a Comment